"There are over 50,000 Realtors and brokers in the Province of Ontario; though they have all gone through extensive training, owners should find the person whose expertise and knowledge is the best fit for their needs and will help them understand their home's value," says Ron Abraham, President of the Ontario Real Estate Association. (OREA) Abraham recommends asking these questions (from www.howrealtorshelp.ca) to help chose the right one for you:
- What is your track record for getting the list price? How long does it take for you to sell a property? A reasonably quick sale can mean that the Realtor correctly understood the market and value of the home. Ask about their track record for negotiating a sale that is close to or above the list price.
- How will you market my home? Find out how the Realtor plans to get buyers interested, whether through ads, online marketing or open houses.
- What services do you provide? Realtors can offer a range of services including a competitive market analysis or recommending other professionals such as a lawyer or contractor.
- What do you know about my neighbourhood? Realtors often specialize in specific areas and will be knowledgeable about nearby schools or transit, which could both attract buyers.
- Can you provide references? Ask to speak to past clients to learn how well they worked with the Realtor and if they were happy with the service.