Fall is upon us, which means beautiful seasonal colours and leaves crunching under your feet. Beyond the seasons splendour there is an array of chores to do around the house to prepare for the cold ahead.
- Get your fireplace ready: To avoid fire and smoke damage make sure the damper opens and closes properly. If the chimney hasn't been cleaned recently call a chimney sweeper.
- Dispose of your leaves properly: Collect leaves in approved garbage bags and put them out for collection or take them to assigned dumping areas. Do not burn leaves, this is illegal in urban areas.
- Clean out the eaves troughs. Leaving the eaves full of debris can cause roof damage from a build-up of ice.
- Inspect the roof. Ensure that it can withstand the wear and tear of winter months and that it won't collapse under the weight of heavy snow.
- Protect your pipes: Prevent plumbing freezes and burst pipes by insulating exposed pipes and turn off the water to exterior taps. Also turn off the water if you are planning on being away for an extended period of time.