Warm weather and an inevitable build-up of rain and melting snow make spring a particularly important time to perform home maintenance checks. Maintenance is an essential part of being a home owner, ensuring the internal environment of your home stays healthy. Here are a few tips.
- Regularly clear eavestroughs and gutter of debris. Leaves and sticks that accumulate through fall and winter can cause blockages.
- Extend downspouts so that water is directed away from your home. Rain and melting snow can accumulate quickly and water that flows around the foundation will eventually find its way into the basement.
- Fix caulking and weather stripping around windows and doors and on the roof if it has become cracked or separated over the winter.
- Investigate and identify any musty smells and odours. They are often an indicator of a hidden moisture problem.
- Clean or replace the furnace filter.
- Check air ducts, remove covers and vacuum the vents.
- Have the roof inspected to ensure that shingles, flashing and chimney caps are in place and sealed properly.
- If you have a sump pump, check the float and discharge line and test the overall operation.