There are many costs associated with buying a home, not the least of which is the actual move. Here are some tips to help make it less expensive.
- Professional movers are often the biggest expense. Consider either not hiring them altogether or hiring them in a limited capacity. For example, hire them only for loading and unloading, or to move some things like the heaviest items.
- If you do need movers and can be flexible on the date hire them when they are least in demand, such as the middle of the month versus the end.
- Don't buy boxes. Get them from local business or rent storage containers from eco-friendly moving companies.
- Is the move job-related? Is so, talk to your employer; they may be willing to pay part, if not all the expenses. Approach you employer up-front and ensure that you keep all the receipts.
- Move less. The more you have to move, the more expensive the move. So before you start packing, purge. Recycle, donate, sell and throw away as much as possible.