How you live in your home when its on the market is different from how you normally live in it. If you're serious about selling, you need to be prepared for buyers' eyes at all times. Consider following these tips to keep your home in show-ready condition.
- Don't smoke indoors or cook foods with strong odours. Take out the trash every day and keep the home smelling good with essential oil diffusers or light-bulb rings.
- Make some rooms "off limits" for your family until the house sells. If you can avoid using the dining room, formal living room, guest room or spare bathroom you'll have less cleaning to do.
- Consider hiring a cleaning service before listing the home and perhaps maintaining it on an ongoing basis until the house sells. Then all you'll have is light maintenance between cleanings.
- Keep a storage container, basket or bag handy. When you get those last minute calls for showings throw everything that's not in its designated spot into the basket to be stowed out of sight.
- Stash disposable cleaning wipes under the sink in the bathroom and kitchen for quick wipe downs.
- Keep small containers in the bathrooms to house toiletries when not in use and hide them underneath. Have two sets of towels, one for display and one for use, (kept hidden).