44°18′N 77°48′W / 44.300°N 77.800°W / 44.300; -77.800Coordinates: , Campbellford lies approximately midway between Toronto and Ottawa. It is situated on both the Trent-Severn Waterway and the Trans Canada Trail. It can be reached from Highway 401 by exiting at Brighton (Exit 509) and going north on County Road 30. It can be reached from Highway 7 at the Havelock exit going south (also on County Road 30).
Campbellford traces its history back to 1834, when the first homesteaders arrived in the area. Once very wealthy, it is still known today for its many fine Victorian homes.
The town is home to a brewery (Church-Key Brewing Company), a chocolate factory (Blommer Chocolate Company, previously World's Finest Chocolate Factory), a styrofoam cup factory (Dart Cup), and eastern Ontario's only remaining rural cheese factory (Empire Cheese)a must visit stop in the community. Other notable local businesses include Dooher's Bakery which has been serving the community for 60 years originally opened in Madoc Ont with a small wood fire oven and everything made from scratch, mouth watering and delicious cookies, cakes, pies, tarts,chelsea buns,breads, rolls, bagels and donuts Dooher's prides itself on home baked goods made from scratch with fresh ingredients every morning, Clarion Boats, a highly specialized wooden boat builder and restoration shop; Eagle Airfield Limited, a builder of airport snow and ice control equipment; and Prototype Research & Development Ltd, which builds replicas of classic cars.
Campbellford was the home to "Iron Chief Charlie" Charles W Mahoney whose small informal summertime gathering in July named Charlie's Indian Day started in 1984 and became a substantial motorcycle gathering and made Charlie somewhat of an icon in Campellford. Each year, for the past 24 years, the small community of Trent Hills – Campbellford has played host to an eclectic gathering of motorcyclists. They gather at what continues to be a Mecca to honour one man, “Indian” Charlie Mahoney and motorcycles line the street running adjacent to the Trent River. Charlie’s reputation and personality were a powerful magnet that drew Indian motorcycle enthusiasts in particular, and motorcyclists in general, from all parts of North America and beyond. Charlie died in 2004 at the age of 85
Campbellford Memorial Hospital is the largest employer in the community. Serving a catchment area of 30,000 residents, Campbellford Memorial is the only hospital located between Belleville and Peterborough, which are both approximately 60 kilometres away. It is the cornerstone of a health care campus that includes a family health team, Hillside Family Medicine, which serves over 16,000 patients and is a teaching practice affiliated with the University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine; a community mental health centre; and a long term care facility. The hospital is recognized for the strength of its infection control program.
Campbellford is surrounded by prime agricultural land which is home to many farms. In recent years, some of the town's agricultural sector has diversified into non-traditional areas such as bison farming, rare breeds farming and there are many horse farms in the area. The town has a farmers' market that is open two days a week in the summer.
In the summer, Campbellford's population swells with tourists taking advantage of the local lakes and waterways, trails and camping areas. In the winter, snowmobiling is a popular attraction. The 1.98 km² Ferris Provincial Park is located on the Trent River a short distance south of Campbellford. To enter the park from the west walking visitors cross the Trent River on the Ranney Gorge Suspension Bridge. Seymour Conservation Area is accessed via County Road 30, 1 km south of Campbellford town limits.
Campbellford has a vibrant arts community, and is particularly known for its musical scene. It is home to the Westben Arts Festival Theatre; the Lowdown Blues Band, as well as numerous other local bands and musicians; and the Aron Cinema, which shows both movies and live entertainment. Campbellford District High School's jazz band has been nationally acclaimed with several gold awards over the last ten years. Several high school musicians have also been selected to national all-star bands. The success of the school's program can be attributed to Dave Noble, the TV Ontario Teacher of the Year in 1999.
In addition to the suspension bridge, the town has a number of eclectic tourist attractions, including a 27 ft (8.2 m) high statue of a toonie (the unofficial name for Canada's two-dollar coin, which was designed by local artist Brent Townsend); the Memorial Military Museum; and the annual antique motorbike and car show, held on the first weekend of July.
Campbellford became a town in 1906 (Trent Hills Visitor Guide,2009, p. 13) and its centennial was celebrated in 2006. About 70 years earlier, "the British government gave two brothers, Lieutenant-Colonel Robert Campbell and Major David Campbell, 1800 acres of land to settle in an area named for the Duke of Northumberland's wife Lady Elizabeth Seymour" (Trent Hills Visitors Guide, 2009, p. 13). The Trent River (long before it became a canal) meandered through the Campbell property and, not far from the current town centre, the river was shallow enough for crossing. The river crossing came to be known as "Campbell's Ford." Years later in 1876 the Village of Campbellford was created and then became a town in 1906. In 2001, Campbellford, Hastings and Warkworth amalgamated to form the municipality of Trent Hills.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campbellford,_Ontario on Sept 26 2013