Vastu For Home
The term Vastu, meaning a dwelling place, was initially used to refer to the homes of gods and human beings. Vastu is also defined as the art of placing objects and elements to create a harmonious environment, often referred to as Indian Feng Shui. The theory is based on ancient principles of design and architecture that pre-date its Chinese cousin. However, with time, it came to be associated with the right location as well as design of almost any and every structure. Be it a plot, commercial complex, industry, shop/showroom, residential house or spiritual place like temple, Vastu tips are followed while building each and every edifice. Coming down to home, it takes an important place in all the activities of your day to day life. The structure of a house forms one of the important considerations in Vastu Shastra. If the house construction is weak, Vastu is also weak, and if house construction is strong, Vastu also works strong.
When it comes to residential Vastu, each and every aspect of a house is taken into consideration. Right from the master bedroom and kids’ room to the bathroom and even the garage, there is not even a single aspect in a house that is overlooked by Vastu Shastra. For instance, best direction for master bedroom construction is south west, while for other rooms; central, southern and central west directions are appropriate. Then, for prayer room, yellow or sandal colour is just perfect for walls. Like this, there are many other Vastu tips that need to be followed while constructing as well as furnishing a house.
NB: The images used below are for illustration purposes only.
- The location of living room, depends on the particular direction that the house faces. For a north or east facing house, the living room can be on the north east direction. Similarly, for a west facing house, it can be located on the north west side. If the house faces the south, then the living room can be on the south east side.
- Sofa sets can be kept against the south and west walls, but should not touch them. The furniture should be placed in such a way that it allows free movement from the living room into other rooms, but avoid cluttering. It is a good idea to have a floor level or a table mounted podium lamp, with red or orange light, in the area between the items that relate to south east.
Water Fountains & Fish Aquarium
- Water is best kept in the north of the living room. This can be in the form of a small water fountain that runs throughout the day. Fountains that are made of natural materials, like copper, stone, glass, clay, stainless steel, and bamboo, are good for living room. They can be wall, floor or tabletop mounted. You can have a small fish aquarium with seven fishes of one family (red and gold) and two fishes of a different family (black) in the north of the living room.
Bulging & Abrasive Corners
- The furniture should not face bulging or sharp corners of columns or pillars. Such protrusions and corners can imbalance the primary elements. To minimize the imbalance, they can be aesthetically camouflaged with indoor plants that are not thorny. Such corners or edges can also be softened with cascading, crawling, or tree-like plants.
Paintings And Pictures
- Paintings can be used to generate positive energy in the living room. The north wall of the living room can have paintings/pictures of long distance waters, to stimulate the positive effects of water. Avoid paintings that depict death, violence, or other negative aspects of life.
- If you want to keep television in the living room, place it in such a way that you have to face the east or north corner, while watching it. Power can be drawn from sockets placed in the east of south east of the living room. Other electronic gadgets, like air conditioners, air coolers, and audio systems, can also be kept in the living room with power being drawn from the east of south east.
People have relied on Vastu for centuries for living in perfect harmony and keeping problems at an arm’s length. It is even more important for your bedroom, where you retire to escape from the worries of the world and have a tension-free sleep. In context of bedroom, Vastu takes into consideration different determinants to ensure harmony in the house. The main things that become important, while constructing and designing bedrooms, are location, placement of bed, color scheme, direction and placement of doors, windows, and furniture, set up of electronic gadgets, etc.
- For ensuring peace in the house, the master bedroom should be constructed in the south west direction.
- While placing the bed, make sure that you keep it in such a way that the occupant sleeps with his/her head pointing towards the south, therefore, the feet should point towards north.
- Having the head in the north direction while sleeping should be avoided completely, as it acts as a source of nightmares and disturbed sleep.
- If you want to have a bookshelf in your bedroom, west or south west corner is the appropriate location.
- For constructing the master bedroom, south west direction is just perfect. Other bedrooms can be constructed on the eastern or northern side of the master bedroom.
- Square and rectangle shape bedrooms are just perfect for ensuring peace and prosperity in the house. Irregular shapes should be avoided completely.
- The bedroom door should open at least ninety degrees, to fully allow positive opportunities to flow to you. This is because the door of your bedroom is symbolic of the opportunities life presents you. A door that cannot open fully will limit the support and prospects life has to offer you.
- The first thing that you see when you enter your bedroom should give you the feeling of tranquillity and serenity. Such feelings can be enhanced by a photograph, an inspiring quote, a painting, and or a sculpture. Locate these things at such a place that the moment you enter your bedroom, your gaze falls on them.
- Don’t place your bedroom mirror on the wall opposite your bed, as it disturbs sleep. At such a position, the mirror reflects your image and holds back your stress, rather than allowing you to throw it off.
- Remove clutter from under you bed, as it keeps your mind lingering in the past and hinders future progress. Wherever clutter exists, your life energy becomes stagnant. Clutter is symbolic of all that has not been completed in your life. It will also not allow you to have a sound sleep, as it disturbs your subconscious mind.
- Don’t sleep in direct alignment with sharp corners. This can create stress in your nervous system. In a room that has sharp corners, you will never be able to experience peace, unless you soften them. Also, move your bed away from direct alignment with them.
- The Vastu colours ideal for your bedroom are soft pastel shades of blue, green and off white. Avoid using dark and excessively bright colours in your bedroom.
- Vastu rejects the idea of keeping an aquarium in the bedroom. It is believed that if they live there, they will attract material loss.
- Avoid placing divine idols, pictures, statues in the bedroom. The best place for them is your prayer room
Dining room is a very important part of the house and should be carefully planned. There are people who think that a dining room is not really required, but it is good to have one rather than having your meals in any part of the home. Vastu for dining room makes sure that the food you are eating will have positive effects on you and your family. There are plenty of things to be considered, while giving the right Vastu remedies for dining room, like the proper location of dining room, proper placement of dining table, position of electronic gadgets, the direction you face while eating food, and so on.
- The ideal location for the construction of dining room is the west portion of the house. Construction should be done in such a manner that both the dining room and kitchen are on the same floor, adjacent to each other.
- The most suitable wall colours for the dining room are the shades of pink and orange.
- The door leading to the dining room should be on the east, north, or west side of the room. It should not have arches.
- The door of the dining room and the main entrance door of the house should not face each other directly.
- It is best to face east or west while eating. The head of the family should face east during meals. Other members of the family can face east, north, or west, but it is not advisable to face south.
- If you want to place a fridge in the dining room, then south east or north west direction would be just apt.
- If you want to make provision for fitting a washbasin in your dining room, then the right place would be either eastern or northern corner.
- The dining table should not be oval but either square or rectangular and be made of wood. It should not fold from the wall or be attached to the wall.
- A sink can be located in the north east corner of the dining room, or on the north or east sides of the room.
- Children should sit on the dining table, facing north or east. They should not sit in the south west corner, as they tend to gain control of the house at such a place and impose their will over the parents.
- There should be water in the north east corner of the room. Washbasin should be in the east or the north, leaving the south east and the south west corner free of water.
- It is most profitable to have the dining room in the west side of the building. If it is in the east or the north, it is tolerably good.
- Ensure that while eating in the dining room, there is no beam or loft over your head.
- Nature portraits and paintings in the dining room make the atmosphere happy and enhance general pleasure.
In a house, kitchen is the place where the meals are cooked. There can be no other place in a house that is as important as the kitchen. It is advisable to plan your kitchen according to Vastu recommendations, as it has the most direct effect on your health. When it comes to kitchen, Vastu takes into consideration various things that, when properly placed, ensure safety in the kitchen. Some of the essential determinants are proper location of the kitchen, direction and placement of doors and windows, placement of cooking gas, gas cylinder, sink, refrigerator and other electronic gadgets, and so on.
- The ideal place for the location of kitchen is the south east corner. An alternative choice can be the north west corner of the house.
- Certain directions that are a total no-no for the construction of the kitchen are: north east, mid north, mid west, south west, mid south and the centre of the house.
- Make sure that the cooking platform does not touch eastern or northern wall.
- The best direction for cooking is facing east, as this direction is considered to be auspicious.
- Keep in mind that the stove in your kitchen should never be visible from the outside. It can lead to digestion problems for the family members.
- Remember that taps and sinks should not be very close to the cooking range. Fire and water repel against each other.
- It’s best to have the kitchen sink in the north east direction. If there is a dishwasher in the kitchen, place it in the north west side of the kitchen. Other water elements like drinking water should be placed in the north east.
- Different electrical appliances also have to be kept at a right place in the kitchen. If the refrigerator is placed inside the kitchen, then keep it in the south west or north west direction. Exhaust fans in the kitchen should always be fitted on the eastern walls in the south east corner and the exhaust should be directed towards the south. Other electrical appliances, like microwave, should be put in the south east corner.
- Storage is also a very important aspect of the kitchen. If you have cabinets in the north east side, use it for storing light things only, else all storage should be in the south or south west close to the kitchen.
- Have elaborate storage units, built in to give a clean and tidy look to the kitchen.
- If your kitchen has overhead storage cupboards, avoid having them over the cooking range.
- While constructing the kitchen, make adequate provision for cross ventilation.
- The big windows of the kitchen should be in the east direction, while the smaller ones should be towards the south.
- The suitable colours for the kitchen, other than green, are soft pink and orange.
- There should be no toilets adjoining, above or below the kitchen.
- Food should never be served in the centre of the kitchen.
- Clocks in the kitchen should always be placed on the south or the south west walls.
Drawing room is as important as any other part or corner of a house. Just as the rest of the house should be planned according to Vastu guidelines, so should be the drawing room. It is one part of the house where the members spend a lot of time and which is also used to entertain guests. Therefore, it is extremely important to do a careful setting of your drawing room, so that it exudes positive energy and fosters healthy relationships.
- The north direction is ideal for the construction of drawing room.
- It is advisable to keep square or rectangle shape furniture in the drawing room. Southern and western corners of the room are perfect for placing the furniture.
- The telephone should be placed in the south west and other electrical appliances (except TV) are best in the south east direction. The perfect place for keeping sofa is in north west. Avoid placing L-shaped sofa in your drawing room.
- TV can be kept in the south east direction and showcase cum almirah (wall unit) in the south west corner. On either side of the TV, pictures of idol of family or clan deities, along with a deity you worship more, should be put up. This will enable one to look at these holy pictures while watching TV. Thus entertainment plus positive energy and pure thoughts will come together.
- Cooler or air conditioning should be placed in west or north direction. Avoid keeping air conditioning or Cooler in south east or north west direction.
- The head of the house and his wife should sit in the south west corner of the room, facing east or north east. This will ensure stability and positive energy.
- The guests should be seated in the north west or south east. Seating arrangement for the guests should be done in such a manner that they face southern or western direction.
- Pictures showing water bodies, aquariums or water fountains should preferably be placed in north to east area, as this brings fortune. The flow of water shown in the picture should point towards the interior of the house. Such pictures inspire positive energy and keep your mind calm.
- The colour of the walls in the living room should be white, yellow, blue or green. Prefer light colour over dark colours. Avoid black and red colour in living room. Light colours in the living room will continue to brighten up the mood and convey a feeling of warmth.
- Square, rectangle and round shapes are best, when it comes to the centre table (coffee table) that has to be kept in the drawing room.
- There should be more of open space in the northern and eastern corners.
Designing your kids’ room as per Vastu ensures that the whole ambience contributes to your child’s development, mental as well as physical. So, whether it is the location of the kids’ room in a house or the placement of furniture in the children room, these tips and guidelines should be followed at each and every step.
- The apt direction for constructing children’s room is west. Apart from that, west, north west, north east and south east directions can also be used for constructing kids’ room. Totally avoid the south west direction.
- In a kid’s room, the bed can be placed in the south west corner. Place the bed in such a way that your child has his/ her head facing the east or south direction, while sleeping.
- As a part of Vastu guidelines for children’s room, it is recommended to avoid placing the mirror on the opposite side of the bed.
- If you want to keep furniture items in children’s room, keep them a few inches away from the wall. Don’t have the furniture attached to the wall, as it obstructs the flow of positive energy.
- The study desk should be placed in such a manner that the child faces east, north or north east corner while studying. East is the most appropriate direction, as it paves way for enhanced concentration.
- Avoid placing a television or computer directly opposite the bed. The television set or the computer monitor, when switched off, reflects the bed, just like a mirror, and is a bad omen.
- If you must have a mirror and a television in the bedroom, have them either on the left or the right side of the bed.
- The door to children’s room should not be exactly opposite to the bed. Rather, try placing it an angle from the door.
- Sharp edges and pointing nooks comprise of something that is better avoided in children’s room.
- The center of kids’ room should always be empty. Try to avoid placing something in there.
- The almirahs and cabinets should always be located in south or west direction of the room.
- Up-lighters, when placed in the south east corner of children’s room, help promote health and generate positive energy.
- Sharp lights as well as spot lights should never ever be used in kids’ room, as they tend to create mental strain.
- The doors as well as windows of children’s room are best designed in the east or north. The windows should be opposite to the door.
- Green colour proves the best for kids’ room, as it is associated with freshness and peace, and increases brain power as well.
Vastu Shastra is the science of house construction. The use of the knowledge of this ancient architectural practice, in the construction of dwelling structures, provides prosperity, disease-free existence and peaceful life all the while.
- As the location of the bathroom is important so is the position of the bathroom accessories. For bathroom construction, the most appropriate location lies in the eastern portion of the house.
- Drainage system should be in the north east direction. Therefore, it is advised that the taps and showers should be fixed on the northern side. The north side is also suitable for putting up the mirror.
- The toilet should be on the west or the north west side of the room and be 1-2 feet above the ground.
- There must be a provision for proper lighting and cross ventilation inside the bathroom.
- As part of Vastu remedies for bathroom, it is suggested that the geyser (shower head) should be placed in the south east corner.
- For keeping the washing machine, the suitable directions are south east and north west.
- The bathtub can be placed in the west, while the sink should be kept on the north east, north or the east side of the room.
- As for bathroom, the door should not be in the south west direction.
- If there is an overhead tank, it should always be on the north west side of the house.
- The bathroom colours should always be light, as such colours help give a fresh look to the bathroom. White, light blue and pale green are the best choices for the same. Avoid dark colours like black or dark red.
- Always keep the bathroom shiny and clean, as proper hygiene allows flow of positive energy.
- You can even use some plants to add a décor element in the bathroom.
- If you are planning to install tiles in the bathroom, keep them in neutral shades.
- For the installation of a geyser (shower head), south east direction will be the best.
Vastu recommends to be very respectful of guests, even treating them at par with God. Welcome guests with great warmth and treat them as a part of the family. A guest room is the place where guest stay and just like other rooms in the house, it needs to follow the right Vastu. It will help the guests completely enjoy their stay and at the same time, spread happiness and warmth in the entire house. In the absence of a guest room that has been planned according to Vastu directions, your guests can become dominating and even bother the peace and stability of your house.
- The guest room should not be constructed in the south west direction of the house because it is meant for the owner (Head of the Family) only.
- You can plan the guest room in the north west direction of the house. It is a clear and suitable place for the guests to stay in your house.
- You can place or plan the guest room at south east corner also. There is nothing troublesome for the guest with this direction.
- The door of the guest room should follow Vastu guidelines as well. North east door, facing east direction; North east door, facing north direction; South east door, facing south direction and North west door, facing west direction are the most preferred choices.
- If the guest room is situated at north west corner or south east corner, highly not recommended, however you could possibly place the bathroom for this room at south west corner.
- If the guest room is situated at north west, you must provide window at north east corner, towards the north direction, or in the west direction.
- If the guest room is situated at south east corner, you need to keep a window at south or south east direction. Nothing serious is observed, even if you provide window at south west direction. As it is, the south east corner guest room crosses the middle point of the house, so if you keep the window in the south west direction also, it will still be all-right.
- Whether you want to provide an attached bathroom with the guest room or not is entirely your choice. Vastu neither advocates it, nor asks you to avoid it.
Doors & Windows
Doors and windows are essential furnishing articles of the house and make living a pleasurable experience. Doors and windows not only act as a passage through which air enters the house, but also as a gateway for energies. A window in the wrong direction would let in negative energies in the house. However, a window in the right direction would allow positive energies and increase the prosperity and affluence of the people staying inside. While today, people are mostly concerned about the designing done on the doors and windows, it’s the direction and placement which should be a matter of concern.
- The direction of the doors and the windows is an important consideration to make. Ideally, a house with maximum number of doors and windows opening in north and east sides, rather than south and west, of the building is considered auspicious.
- The main door of the house should be bigger in size as compared to the other doors in the house. Also, it should be more beautiful than other doors.
- Preferably, doors of all the rooms should be of the same size. However, if you want one of them to be bigger, then doors in south and west side should be the one. Make sure not to make the north and the east side doors bigger than the rest.
- A house should have even numbers of doors and windows.
- At the time of fixing the doorframe in an internal wall, make sure that the doorframe is not fixed contiguous to the main wall of the house. There should be a minimum of 4″ pad built, before fixing the doorframe to a lateral wall.
- Take care of the cross ventilation at the time of fixing the doors and windows. A good way to ensure this would be to fix doors and windows opposite to each other, so as to have better light and air.
- Make sure that the doors are not in the center of the wall. Instead, a door should ways be off-centred.
- For an east facing house, the main door or entrance should be towards the east, so that the main door falls in the Northern half of that side. Such a door yields good results and is considered very auspicious.
- A west facing house should have the main door in the west, so that the main door falls in the Northern half of that side.
- If the house is north facing, the entrance should be fixed towards North, so that it falls in the eastern half of that side.
- When a house is south facing, the entrance should be fixed towards North, so that the door falls in the Eastern half of that side.
- If you have two houses in the same floor, opposite to each other, make sure that their main door does not open exactly towards each other.
- As for the material used for the door and windows, try to have one type of wood for all. Teak serves as the best option for doors and windows.
- Irregular shaped doors and windows are a strict no-no, as they are deemed inauspicious. Ideally, the door size should be in ratio of 2:1 in respect to height and width, its normal size being 7′ X 3′.
- For the windows, though the sizes of width may differ, they should have symmetry in height.
- Ensure that there is no obstruction in front of main door such as rails, staircase, big trees, and so on. Temple, lamppost or any other obstruction is also not feasible.
- Making doors at the beginning and the end of the staircase is a good sign.
- A doorway in the east is extremely auspicious. However, one can also have doorways in the northern and western side. A doorway in the south side is not permissible.
Study room is extremely important to strengthen the child’s concentration and stamina to sit for long without feeling tired. Some children begin to study, but can’t continue for long due to weak concentration. Vastu, precisely, helps solve such problems and assists in gaining control over your mind, in order to boost focus. A lack of focus is the usual complaint from children and the designing the study room according to Vastu recommendations is the key to this problem. Apply these useful tips your study room and see the difference!
- The study room should be located in directions that are considered auspicious for studies, such as east, north and north east. These directions improve the concentration of a student, while studying. Make sure that there is no mirror reflection in the study room. This may have effect of doubling their work load. Ensure that the student does not study under a beam; otherwise he/she may feel unnecessary pressure.
- The placement of study table is imperative for good concentration. You should place study table in a way that the child faces east or north while studying. The table should not stick to the wall. There should be open space in front of child as, it fosters the arrival of fresh ideas. The child should have a solid wall behind him, as it signifies support. The study table should be square or rectangular in shape and not too big or too small in size. A small table can be uncomfortable to work on, while, a big table can adversely affect the competence of a child.
- Bookshelves and cabinets should be located in the east, north, and north east directions. The cabinets should not be placed in the centre of room. It is best to leave central portion of the study room empty. Avoid placing bookshelf above study table. It may create undue stress for child. Do not clutter the study table with lots of books.
- The walls of study room should be painted in light colours, like green, light green, blue, cream and white, rather than dark colours. Light colours are very auspicious according to Vastu and augment the retention power of students. Avoid using black colour in study room.
- Lights have a very crucial affect on one’s ability to study. The study room should be properly lit. Dim lights are not favourable for child’s education and focus. Sunlight gives us positive energy for doing work and therefore, the windows of study room should be in east or north of the room. A table lamp is another source of proper light, which helps in concentrating on the task. If the child is using table lamp, it should be placed in south east of the table.
- If the study room is not meant to sleep in and will only be used for studying and meditation, a pyramidal shaped room can give fantastic results. Otherwise, go for the regular square or rectangular shapes.
Colours play a very important role in our lives and have a definite bearing on our fate. Just as our choice of colours reflects our attitude and approach towards life, the colour of the walls and every corner of our home deeply impact the happenings around us and affect us negatively or positively. Colours have the capacity of pacifying our mind and stimulating our energy. Our mood, health, happiness are all affected by the colours of our house. Colours can have emotional, intellectual, materialistic, intuitive and many other types of influence on humans. Apply these tips with the king of Vastu colours, which are suitable to use while painting your house.
- Red colour is known for its vitality and zest. It displays warmth and enlightens your mood the moment you look at it. Due to the qualities it possesses, red is one of the favoured colors to be used at home. Red represents power and valour. It is dramatic in mood, emotional, active and ignites passion and desire. It enlivens the interior space and creates excitement and enthusiasm for life. However, red should not be used in the bedroom, as it is too energizing. When used in bedroom, it can be overpowering and stressful for the ones anxious by nature.
- Orange colour has its own beauty, due to its ethereal qualities. The color inspires spirituality as it represents transcendence and other worldly aspect of life. It’s the best colour for your dining room as orange color has the ability to stir, rather stimulate your appetite. Communication, positive feelings, cheerfulness and interaction is enhanced, if you paint your dining room or living room orange. Peach colour can also be used in the dining hall, as it gives a cool affect.
- Yellow is associated with sun. It nurtures clarity of mind and natural alertness. Yellow also gives a sense of patience and wisdom. Its placement should be chosen with care, as it is a very bright and energizing colour. A room that gets direct sunlight need not be painted yellow or peach. However, yellow or sandal-coloured walls are just perfect for the prayer room due to their ability to inspire intellectual clarity.
- White symbolizes purity and is highly recommended for your ceilings. It also reflects light and brightens the room. In a bedroom located at the north west direction, white colour can be used.
- Pink colour can be used in the master bedroom or bedrooms located in the south and south west direction. It is a colour which reflects joy, happiness and pure feelings, essential for a happy life.
- Green represents harmony and peacefulness. As green is symbolic of nature, it generates calm and inner peace in the house. Green can be used in the study room, as it augments intelligence. Since green brings quick healing and rejuvenation as well, disturbed people or those who need refreshment can calm themselves in a green-coloured room.
The prayer room in your house should be planned according to Vastu because it is the place where you meditate and worship. So, it is important to gain positive energies to connect with God. If your prayer room is designed according to the right Vastu, you will feel charged and rejuvenated after meditation and your mind will not wander into different directions when you sit to worship. Apply these most suitable Vastu tips and advice for your prayer room.
- The best location for prayer room is the north east direction. A prayer room in north quadrant gives positive results. You can go for east, north and north-east directions as well. Avoid other directions. Special prayer can be performed in Brahmasthan (centre of house). In plots with bigger areas, prayer room can be in Brahmasthan (central portion) of the house. It should be on ground floor, not on first floor or in the basement. Avoid constructing your prayer room under the stairs or basement.
- The doors and windows of the prayer room should be in north and east directions, respectively. The doors should have two shutters. The doors should not have any door closer and a ventilator in the prayer room is a must. The walls of prayer room should be painted in white, light yellow or light blue colour. Its floor should be of white or off-white marble in colour. Cupboard for placing things should be in south or west of prayer room. It is favourable to have a threshold in the prayer room.
- The idols should be kept in north east side of the prayer room. The idols should not face one another, or the door of prayer room. Two idols of same god should not be placed in prayer room. The idols should be, at least, one inch away from walls. ‘Kalash’ or water body should be in north or east of the room. Lamp or lit candles should be in south east. The members of the house should face east while worshipping. Avoid keeping heavy, cluttered and broken idols in the prayer room. Avoid photos of deceased people in prayer room. There should be only prayer room in a house and it should not be used for other purposes, like storage etc.
- never ever be made in the bedroom.
- not be made above electrical appliances or gas stoves.
- not touch the same wall as the toilet.
- not be built opposite a bathroom or toilet.
- be neat and clean. Avoid dirt or clutter therein and keep it fragrant.
- The ground floor is the ideal location for a prayer room.
Garage / Carport
Though one of the most ignored area, garage is as important as the house itself. Just as a Vastu perfect house radiates positive energies and promises a healthy life of the people staying in it, the same is applicable to the garage as well. For better efficiency and long life of a vehicle, the garage should have a correct Vastu The car should be housed properly and in the right direction, else be prepared for incurring a lot of expense.
- The location of the garage is one of the first considerations you need to make. Ideally, car garage should be in the north west or south east of your house.
- If the car is placed in the west side of the north west positioned garage, be prepared to undergo a lot of travelling Very rarely would the car remain in the garage.
- For a car parked in the south west corner, it would require minor repair work.
- The floor level of the garage would be an inclined one, sloping towards the north or east direction.
- The size of the garage should be such that a minimum of 2 to 3 feet of walking space should be left after parking the car inside. This would also ensure the movement of light and air in the garage.
- Make sure that the car shed does not touch the main building or the compound wall.
- Parking the car in the north east direction is a strict no-no. Since north east is deemed as the access point for heavenly forces, a car parked herein would obstruct the forces. However, if you the garage in the basement, parking in the north east area is permissible.
- Remember, a garage in the south west would mean rare usage of the car. Your car would rarely come out of the parking space and would require constant repairing.
- At the time of parking, always park your car with its front portion facing the north or east. This would ensure that the car would never get overheated.
- In case you park your car facing the south or west side, chances are that your car might face fire hazards.
- Ideally, the gate of the garage should face the north or east direction. Make sure the height of the garage gate is not more than the main gate of the wall. Also, it should open freely, i.e. there should not be any hindrance.
- The path where the garage gate opens should be clear, allowing easy accessibility for the car’s movement.
- As for the colours of the garage, white, yellow or any other light colour is considered auspicious for the garage.
- Do not store any waste material or inflammable material in the garage, lest chances are that these might cause unnecessary harm to the garage.
The planning and design of your garden can have a significant effect on your mood, health and prosperity. Gardens are built in the house, so as to enable a person to feel close to nature and enjoy the serenity and calmness affected by the presence of plants and fountains. People make gardens for their refreshing character. Lush green surroundings help in relaxing and restoring inner peace. Vastu can be of immense help in tapping such natural beauty and its energizing qualities.
- Garden, lawns or decorative plants should always be in the east or the north direction. A water fall of three to four feet can be constructed in the east or north direction, leaving the north-east or north-west corner.
- You can keep decorative plants in a garden, but they should not be more than three feet tall.
- If you want to keep swings in your garden, they should be placed in the east or the north.
- The house of your pet or a bird’s nest can be located in the north-west corner of the garden.
- Sitting areas are best planned in the south and west direction and should be facing north and east.
- A garden needs to have a focal point that is visually comforting and inspiring. It can be a fountain, fish aquarium, rocky landscaping, statue (not depicting any form of violence), small idol of your deity, Swastika, Om or anything that has a pleasant look to it.
- As a rule, the garden has to be kept clean and free of litter. Make it a point to remove dry creepers, leaves, flowers, and overgrown shrubs on a regular basis. The lawns should be mowed regularly, as they create an environment for the normal flow of energies.
- A pathway from the front gate of the building to the main entrance will prove to be quite beneficial. On each side of the pathway, grow herbal plants, like basil, and flower plants, like jasmine. A tree or plant in the middle of the path needs to be avoided.
- Fruit-bearing trees should be planted in the east direction. A rock garden can be made in the south west corner of the garden.
- If there is a swimming pool in the garden, it should face the north or north east direction. A swimming pool in the centre, towards the south, south east or south west and even the north west needs to be avoided. It can result in unwanted events, brings negativity in the mind of the residents and adversely affects their health.
- The fountains or water ponds should not be built in the centre of a garden. Rather, they need to follow the same principles as the placement of swimming pools. If their placement is wrong, they cause problems with respect to mental peace and health. Fountains, ponds or artificial springs are very favorable when located in the north east.