As winter approaches it's a good idea to do a quick pre-winter checklist. Choose a day that is preferably sunny and warm, however, if you are running out of time any day will do.
- Check your indoor heating vents to ensure they are clean and free from obstruction
- Test your furnace
- If your furnace is over 15 years old you can consider replacing for a more energy efficient unit.
- If you use a wood burning fireplace you should hire a chimney sweeper to clean
- Always burn dry seasoned wood as it burns cleaner and is safer for your chimney
3. Windows and Doors
- Check seals for air leaks. Make any repairs
- Make sure windows open and close properly in case of fire
- If have already done so, test all units. Replace batteries where needed
- Check expiry dates on carbon monoxide detector and replace where needed
- vacuum out any dust in your detectors as well.
5. Garage & Vehicles
- If you park in your garage over the winter you may need to re-organize the space.
- If you haven't done so already, store your summer items ie: lawn mower, rake etc. And bring out the shovels, snow blower, car scrapers etc.
- It's a good time to change the wiper fluid in your vehicle to anti-freeze version.
- Also a reminder to change over to winter tires if you have them.
- Ensure your vehicle has an emergency kit.
6. Rain gutters
- Hopefully by now you have cleaned out your rain gutters. If not you should do so now.
- Check your down spout and ensure it is aiming away from the house.
- Check for cracks or leaks in the spout, as well as clogs.
- While you are up there on the ladder you might consider putting up your Christmas lights as well.
I have a feeling we will be needing the winter gear sooner than later this year!