Planning to visit the cottage this summer, or going on an extended vacation? Is your home secure when you're not there or are you advertising to thieves that you are away?
Here are some excellent tips for home owners.
1. Don't post to to social media. When you are away, even for the day, don't post to Facebook or Twitter. Also turn your location setting to OFF on your phone when posting photos or tweets.
Also let your children know to do the same.
2. Let a trusted neighbour know you will be away in case they notice anything unusual at your home, ie: strange cars or visitors, smoke, fire etc.
3. Have someone pickup your mail and newspapers, or contact your provider to stop service while you are away.
4. Avoid leaving your porch light on for days on end, as this is an obvious sign that no one is home. Put your lights on timers instead.
5. Hide your hidden key. No need to leave that out while you are away.
6. Let your alarm company know. If you use a service it's a good idea to let them know in advance.
7. Turn your answering machine off. If callers notice your mailbox is full for days on end, they will figure out you are away. Instead you can just turn it off, or remotely check and delete your messages.
8. Turn off your WiFi.
Other useful links:
If you know someone else who would appreciate this blog, feel free to share with them.