Carbon Monoxide Safety Advice You Need to Know

 

In 2007 tragedy struck the Hawkins-Gignac home.  Carbon monoxide silently leaked throughout their home while they were sleeping.  Since then, Bill 18 has been in affect which requires working carbon monoxide detectors to be used near sleeping areas.

Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that is not easy to detect as it is colourless, odorless, and tasteless.   The most common reasons for a carbon monoxide leak is due to appliance malfunction, a blocked chimney, improper ventilation, and vehicles left running in an attached garage.

 

What you need to know to stay safe:

 

  • Install at least one CSA-6.19.01 approved carbon monoxide detector outside bedrooms.  

 

  • Depending on the brand, alarms need to be replaced every 7-10 years, therefore,  check the expiry date of existing detectors and replace any devices built before 2008.

 

  • Always hire a licensed technician inspect your fuel burning appliances (furnace, range, hot water heater, fireplace, etc.) annually to ensure they are in good working order and vented properly.

 

  • And most importantly, if your CO detector alarm goes off, leave your house immediately, then call 911.  Ensure pets and elderly are safely assisted.

 

You can find carbon monoxide detectors at your local hardware store.  For more information please visit.

The City of Barrie Fire Safety

Hawkins-Gignac Act

 

Stay safe everyone!

 

 

 

There are no comments

Thank you! Your comment has been submitted and is awaiting approval.

Victoria Jacobs

Victoria Jacobs

Sales Representative
CENTURY 21 B.J. Roth Realty Ltd., Brokerage*
Contact Me

Tags