Christmas Household Hazards for Pets Barrie

With so much activity and entertaining during the holidays we sometimes forget that this season can be hazardous to pets.

Here are a few things to keep away from your pet.


Holly / Mistletoe & Poinsettia

Keep these plants far from your pet.  Perhaps choose a plastic variety.  If your pet ingests this toxic plant they may experience vomiting and diarrhea.  Note:  Mistletoe can cause gastrointestinal upset and cardiovascular problems.



Consumption of chocolate can cause agitation, vomiting, diarrhea, high heart rate, tremors, seizures, and even death.



Xylitol, a sugar substitute,  has been linked to fatal acute liver disease and blood clotting disorders in dogs.  Even if you suspect just a small amount has been digested, you should contact your Vet immediately.



Alcohol may cause vomiting, disorientation, diarrhea, lethargy, lack of coordination, difficulty breathing, tremors, coma, and seizures.


Grapes & Raisins

The toxic substance that is contained within grapes and raisins is unknown; however these fruits can cause kidney failure.


Turkey & Meat Bones

You should avoid giving your pet any leftover food, and therefore keep leftovers out of reach.  This goes especially for cooked bones (which splinter easily) or giving bones that are small enough to get stuck in their bowels.



If tinsel is digested it can cause an obstructed digestive tract, severe vomiting, dehydration and possible surgery.  It's best to go with another type of decoration.


If in doubt, be sure you have your vet's emergency contact on hand.

Other links:

Pet MD

Barrie Veterinary Hospital

24 hr Emergency Pet Hospital


Know someone who would also like this blog?  Please feel free to share it with others.





There are no comments

Thank you! Your comment has been submitted and is awaiting approval.

Victoria Jacobs

Victoria Jacobs

Sales Representative
CENTURY 21 B.J. Roth Realty Ltd., Brokerage*
Contact Me

Blog Archives