It's a joyful time of year and your home and tree decorations look wonderful. But is your home safe from fire? There's always a spike in home fires during the holidays so here is a safety checklist to you and your home safe.
- lovely to look at, but a fire hazard.
- if you have a real tree you must keep it well watered.
- keep your tree away from radiators and space heaters.
- don't over load your extension cords with with lights.
- always unplug your tree lights at night, or if you will be out for several hours.
- never use real candles on your tree.
Don't leave candles unattended
Never use damaged or frayed extension cords
Don't let your pet chew on extension cords
Never run electrical cords underneath area rugs
- always have your fireplace inspected by a professional at the beginning of the season
- Use a screen in front of your fireplace
- Never burn your tree, or holiday wrapping paper in the fireplace
- take extra care if using a space heater in the bedroom. Keep it 3 feet away from furniture and beds.
- test your smoke detector and change batteries if needed
- Do you own a fire extinguisher? Keep one handy on each level of your home. Check the expiry date as well.
Enjoy your Christmas holidays and stay safe.