During a move emotions run high - often with a mix of anxiety, excitement, worry, and sometimes sadness or fear. Moving doesn't have to be a daunting task if planned out in advance. Our Moving Day series will tackle some obstacles and how to overcome them with ease.
Packing. Where to begin?
Well before you start filling up boxes you should take a few days and edit out your storage areas and decide what will be accompanying you to the new home and what won't.
1. Edit out your storage areas and donate or sell what you no longer need or want.
2. Have quality storage boxes and container. Moving company boxes are most suitable, as are rubber containers with lids. Save up your newspapers as they are handy when wrapping up fragile items.
3. Clearly label your boxes with Room, contents etc. Keep room items together as it is easier to unload and put away later. Label top and sides of box with large black lettering. Mark FRAGILE on your boxes of china, glass ware etc.
4. You can pack up the items you no longer need for day to day use and set aside.
5. Keep at least 2 boxes open for last day packing items such as: coffee maker, phones etc.
6. Tip 1: Liquor store boxes are perfect for packing cups and glasses.
7. Tip 2: Place clean bed sheets in a dresser drawer so that you can easily make beds without searching for the linen boxes.
8. Tip 3: Zip lock sandwich bags work great for storing hardware, nuts, bolts of disassembled furniture, just be sure to label clearly. ie: Kid's bunk bed hardware, desk in den hardware....etc.
9. Pack clothes with hangers still on, it makes it much easier to hang in closet later.
10. Keep your dish soap and toiletries in a handy bag with you in the car so that you don't have to look for it later.
Do you have any handy packing tips to share? We'd love to hear from you!
If you need moving advice or want a recommendation on moving companies, feel free to contact me anytime.