The first impression people have of your house is what it looks like from the outside. What are they going to say to themselves as they approach your
home? Believe it or not, some buyers make a decision to keep on driving just by looking at the outside of the house.
Here are some tips to make them want to come inside:
• Tidy up the outside by removing any leaves, debris, branches, and other “yard clutter” to make a neat and tidy appearance.
• Pick up any garden equipment, buckets, rakes, shovels, lawn mower, etc.
• Give the hedges a fresh trim, paying special attention to anything blocking windows or getting in the way of walking to and from the house.
• Power wash the driveway, walkway, patio, and deck.
• Clean the pool and keep it sparkling and free of pool toys and pool equipment.
• Neaten and refresh any play areas: Maybe some fresh sand in the sandbox, fix any rusted or dirty swings, slides or other playground equipment.
• Spruce up the lawn by cutting, trimming, weeding, and fertilizing where necessary. A great-looking lawn makes a better impression than a neglected lawn.
• Color it up by adding some bright annuals in places that could use some brightening, or add a colorful potted plant at the entryway.
• Make the garage and front door look as inviting as you can. If it needs it, a fresh coat of paint and kick-plate can inexpensively transform a front door. Make sure the garage door is not dented or dirty. Little things count a lot.
• Fresh bark or pine straw around the base of trees and flowerbeds gives a fresh and maintained look for a small amount of money.
• Look at the mailbox. Does it need freshening up? Maybe consider replacing it if it needs it.
• Make sure the numbers on the house make it easy to find, and consider getting new ones if it would improve the look from the street. Cut back vegetation that may have grown over the numbers.
• Make the windows sparkle. Clean windows and repair any caulking or paint that needs attention.
*To receive my 101 Quick and Easy Tips to Make Your House Show Like a Model Home email email@example.com or call 905.330.8675
Your Friend in Real Estate