16. Change the locks of your new home. If you have just moved in to your new home, make sure that you replace all the locks. This will help you ensure that nobody else out there has duplicate keys of your doors and may have access to your home when you are away.
17. Make sure that every outdoor entrance of your home has sufficient lighting. Thieves normally make their way to houses through dark openings. Therefore, make sure that every opening leading to the inside of your home has sufficient lighting.
18. Provide auxiliary locks for your sliding doors. Every sliding door and window in your home should have their own auxiliary locks to ensure that thieves wont be able to break in by lifting the doors and windows off their sliders.
19. Make sure that all your exterior doors have deadbolt locks. Providing deadbolt locks for all the exterior doors of your home will allow you to securely lock them when you go out of town.
20. Consider hiring a house sitter. Having a house sitter when you are not around will let you have someone to look after the safety of your home while you are away. By having a house sitter, you can also leave your pets at home.