A few years ago when I told friends and colleagues in Calgary that I was moving to Sundre, the usual response was: Where? Using phrases like “Do you know where Olds is?” and “Well, drive north of Cochrane for 45 minutes” helped a bit to get a location fix but little else. Convincing people there was a vibrant town on the Red Deer River only minutes from the mountains and only a short drive from Calgary was the hard part! What more could you want in your town:
- Recreational activities in an around Sundre, including great golf courses, excellent hiking and walking trails right in town along the river and up on Snake Hill, lots of camping and sight-seeing near by. Sundre is the base for fishing and river rafting adventures, and in winter there are lots of great places to explore on skis or snowshoes. The Sundre Aquaplex has pools and a good gym.
- Healthcare is well covered with the Sundre Hospital, medical offices, and seniors’ lodges, along with two very well equipped pharmacies.
- Retail is serviced by a fully stocked grocery store, hardware stores, and couple of variety stores, along with some specialty stores, banks, and personals services.
- Restaurants run the range from casual fast food to quality full service. There’s a specialty coffee shop and even a Tim’s!
- Accommodations include a campground right in town (and many more near by) and a range of hotels and motels.
- Arts & Culture experiences can be found everywhere from the Sundre Museum to the Art Centre to the annual Art Walk. And every June there is the Sundre Rodeo and Parade.
Real estate prices in growing communities around Calgary are climbing as more people are looking to downsize in both house and community. And the secret of Sundre is that there is a range of housing available for every need and price. Sundre has a lot to offer its potential residents. I truly feel Sundre is on the edge of a transition from Where? to There!
Let me know if you want to know more about Sundre as a place to live and play. But do it soon because someday soon the secret will be out!