Featured Heritage Home of the week....217 16th Street

This distinctive Barn-style home was built in 1906. The gambrel roof is a distinguishing feature of this architectural style. The roof is adorned with hipped dormers, a decorative gable, and detailed bargeboard trimming. The design offers such details as an open verandah supported by columns, as well as display windows with decorative voussoirs.

The earliest known owner of the house is Alexander W. McKenzie. McKenzie, who was employed as the foreman of Hughes & Co., resided here until 1909. Other owners of the home include CPR despatcher James J. Buchanan (1913-1919); Kenneth E. Forrest, assistant manager of the International Harvester Co. (1947); and Frank S. Both, estates manager of the Canada Guaranty Trust Co. (1923-1931, 1937-1945)


Information courtesy of www.brandonheritage.ca

Blog Archives