The extra living space that a finished basement can provide is a real bonus. Here are some key points to consider to provide the best situation for your family.
1. CREATE GOOD HEADROOM a minimum of 6 ft. 8 in., but 7 ft. 6 in. or more is ideal.
2. THE NEXT ISSUE IS WARMTH. Insulate walls, upgrade windows and address the issue of cold concrete floors.
3. ADD LIGHTING with dimmer switches and arrange in small well lit areas.
4. PAINT COLORS should be warm but not dark. Trim should be painted white or off-white, semi-gloss.
5. STORAGE can be added at a relatively low cost. Combine areas that are hidden behind doors with some open shelving to make the space seem bigger.