There are some easy things we can do outside our home to help keep us safe and dry.
• Disconnect downspouts from the municipal sewer system. Extend downspouts at least 6 feet away from your basement walls and drain away from your house towards the street or backyard..
• Install a rain barrel to minimize the amount of surface water that could enter your home
• Grade the earth or hard surfaces around your home to slope away from your foundation.
• Before temperatures drop to freezing, turn off the water supply to outdoor taps and faucets, then open the taps to drain the water completely. Leave taps in the open position until spring.
• Keep gutters and downspouts clear of leaves and other debris – clean them out at least once a year – late fall is a good time.